To be the legal service provider of the highest quality.
This site best viewed with Mozilla Firefox and Safari
REPORT OF THE REGISTRIES DIVISION
Apart from carrying out his duties as the principal legal adviser to the Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan, the Attorney-General is also the Registrar of Powers of Attorney, Registrar of Marriages, Registrar of Bills of Sales, Registrar of Trade Marks, Registrar of Industrial Designs and Registrar of Patents.
The Registrar is further assisted by a number of counsels and legal officers who are either appointed as Deputy Registrars or officers authorized by the Registrar. The Head of Registries Division is Dayang Hajah Nor Hashimah binti Haji Md Taib, Acting Assistant Solicitor General, and is assisted by five counsel and legal officers, 2 legal assistants, 4 senior registration clerks, 15 registration clerks and 18 clerks in the day to day running of the Registries.
The Division is responsible for the registration and administration of the following legislation:
• Powers of Attorney Act (Cap 13)
• Registration of Marriages Act (Cap 124)
• Bills of Sale Act (Cap 70)
• Trade Marks Act (Cap 98)
• Industrial Designs Order, 2000 (s7/00)
• Inventions Act (Cap 72)
Besides dealing with the registration and administration of these legislation, the Division also:
• Advises the relevant Government Ministries and Departments on matters relating to intellectual property;
• Promotes awareness and education amongst public by disseminating information on the importance of intellectual property and its effective use by conducting public talks, presentations and road shows;
• Co-operates with other Intellectual Property Offices and other organisations in intellectual property programmes and activities;
• Attends domestic and international meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences in relation to intellectual property matters; and
• Represents the Registrar in meetings with relevant Government Ministries and Departments and/or Committees.
The World Intellectual Property Day 2013 marked the official unveiling of the ASEAN IP Portal. It is a significant milestone for the development of the IP system for ASEAN member states, and represents an important deliverables for the ASEAN IP Action Plan 2011-2015. The ASEAN IP Portal is a tool that will help prepare people regarding IP matters and IP information relevant to the ASEAN region and respective AMSs in anticipation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) in 2015.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 02 May 2013 07:03|