The Archive Unit was established in 1993 and a post called “Archive Supervisor” was created and approved to deal with the duties in this Unit particularly in well-maintaining, easy tracking and safekeeping of files, records and documents of this Chambers. This post was filled as from 1st. November 1993. In 1998 another post was created called “Archive Assistant” in Division IV and from 8th. March, 2007 another post was added.
Assisting the Attorney General’s Chambers in maintaining records, files and documents of the Chambers as well as the quick and accurate tracking of their movements. .Eventhough this Unit is only a small reference Unit, it plays a major and an important role.
The Archive Unit has four (4) separate rooms; three (3) rooms are located on the second floor and one (1) room is located on the first floor of this building and their functions are as follows:-
1. The Filing Room for the safekeeping of files related with advices, legislation and debt claims.
2. The Report Room for the safekeeping of reports of meetings/ seminars/ workshops in and out of
the country attended by officers and also The Honourable Attorney General himself.
3. The Office (operation room) where the Archive Supervisor and the Archive Assistants are stationed
to record files/ correspondences received as well as for the convenience of the officers of this
Chambers and other departments (Officers from the enforcement agencies) to obtain information
4. The Filing Room on the first floor is specifically to safekeep the files related with the Laws of
Brunei Darussalam that are already closed where these files are still used as reference.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible to the Chambers in ensuring the smooth flow of the files and records by entering in the computer and file register of the ingoing and outgoing of files, entering records including all correspondences received from the Confidential Secretaries (AGC) into the computer and ingoing files register for further action of officers as instructed.
- Responsible in planning and maintaining the filing system index including replacing damaged file covers with new ones.
- Responsible in opening and closing files upon instructions and necessity for new matters.
- Inserting documents and correspondences into relevant files.
- Inspecting files to ensure whether actions have been taken or not.
- Updating and cross-referring relevant files, documents, papers, etc.
- Registering the IPs received from the following departments:-
Anti-Corruption Bureau, Royal Brunei Police Force, Narcotics Control Bureau, Royal Customs and Excise, Labour, Immigration & Inquest and issuing File Movement Slip (IP Movement) to the officers as instructed to deal with the relevant cases and opening files for the copies of the correspondences.
- Registering the outgoing IPs to be dispatched and copying the correspondences for the Archive.
- Reviewing all correspondences received from the typists to ensure the correct reference number.
- Performing other responsibilities as instructed/directed by the Head of Department and Heads of Divisions.
- Registering and opening sub-files in relation to claims as follows:-
> Claims for stall rent, charges etc from the Municipal Board, Bandar Seri Begawan, Kuala Belait, Temburong and Tutong Districts.
> Claims for canteen rent from relevant Ministries and Departments.
> Claims for Financial Convenience Scheme from the Economic Development and Planning Department.
> Claims for recovery of overpaid salaries and allowances from Ministries and Departments;
> Claims for RIPAS Hospital treatments from the Medical and Health Department;
> Claims for damaged government properties and claims for stolen government furnitures from Public Works Department;
> Claims for terrace house rents, infringements of procedures under the Housing Development Department;
> Claims for canteen rent and etc under Welfare, Youth and Sports Department;
> Claims for arrears of Advertisement Revenue under RTB .